Monday, October 8, 2007

Why Turtles?

Everyone knows that turtles are slow. They take their time. They'll get there . . . eventually. So what is a Turtle Traipse? It's a turtle walk. One dictionary I looked in defined the verb without an object as: to walk or go aimlessly or idly or without finding or reaching one's goal. Since we haven't defined an object or goal (in life, blogging or anything else), I thought it somewhat appropriate to the randomness of a blog. Especially one put together by me.

Turtles are supposed to be good luck. I actually fell in love with them in the recent years that I've taken up Scuba diving with my best friend, partner, lover and husband. (I'm the luckiest woman in the world, but that is a topic for another time.) We took it up on a whim when we were in the Caribbean for our honeymoon just over 8 years ago. There was a "resort" course that did absolutely nothing to prepare you for diving except determine that you wouldn't freak out breathing underwater for the first time. After the first dive we were hooked. Granted, we're duly trained and certified by the professionals now . . . we're not completely insane (most of the time.) But on that first dive I was trying to figure out this thing called neutral buoyancy to keep my fins and flesh off this thing they have underwater called coral. I happened to be floating near the sandy bottom at an incredible depth of about 30 feet and I looked off in to the distance hoping my internal level would start to indicate that I was getting the hang of this . . . and I saw one. A green sea turtle off in the distance.

Now this was before I actually started a dive log (goes with formal training) and recorded all of this for prosperity. I didn't even tell my new husband about the absolute sense of wonder and awe that I felt. This creature was graceful, elegant, gorgeous and just making it's way along the seabed in a direction opposite the invaders kicking up sediments and making a general nuisance of themselves. Sure when we got back on the dive boat, someone said, "Did you see the turtle?" I nodded, but didn't go into how absolutely cool it was. I couldn't. It's like discovering the perfect chocolate for the very first time. You can't really explain it, but when it happens you know it.

This last spring we were again in a position to do some diving out off the big island of Hawai'i. On the first dive boat out of the harbor there was another sea turtle heading out of the marina to the big blue. I was in awe. But you really haven't seen turtles until you've seen them as they are supposed to be seen . . . underwater. I saw several turtles that trip, both from dry land and from the watery deep. The only way for a turtle to make progress is to stick its head out of the shell and start looking around.

So here's to exploring . . .
Cheers.

No comments: