Monday, January 21, 2008

Girlfriends

All my life I have been a very odd girl . . . I don't really have all that many girlfriends. To be perfectly honest, most girls drive me nuts. Since I graduated from college, women have done the same thing. I have very little patience for gossip, makeup, shopping or any other of the major activities that go with being female in this day and age. Put me in the mountains with a backpack and compass. Ride across the country on a motorcycle with a day's change of clothes in the pack. Give me a good book to read or computer game to play. Most of these things will not make the top 10 list for girly activities. Most of the time, I'm ok with that. I have a couple of really good friends who are gals. They aren't what you'd expect either. One's a real jock. The other is fearless in most social situations and wouldn't leave me alone to eat lunch until she became my best friend. I love them to death. But why is it when I'm confronted with a 'girl' situation that I freeze? I don't actually freeze; I'll just sit back and watch.

There is this notion of "sisterhood" among women. The men have their bonding moments over beer and sports. Give me a cold brew, bag of peanuts and a double header (doesn't really matter who's playing) and I am a happy camper. Admittedly, during my most formative years I spent the days playing football, baseball, soccer, smear the queer . . . (yes, that's the guy running around with the football), hockey, climbing trees and fishing. It wasn't until I was about to hit puberty that it dawned on me that I was the only girl in the neighborhood who was "one of the guys." Then we moved and I got to go to a new school. Needless to say, my comfort zone was not conducive to making lots of friends. The guys I felt comfortable around didn't want anything to do with that "weird new girl" and I had no idea how to talk to the girls. All they wanted to talk about was makeup, clothes, hairstyles, and of course, boys. Not knowing anyone as I was new . . . well, my conversational range was limited. The other subjects did not interest me at all. Still don't for that matter. I was at the grocery store just last week and someone commented that I had really clear skin. She asked what my secret was . . . I had to stifle a laugh at her expression when I told her occasionally cleanser, cold water and moisturizer. I don't have any secret. I just don't clog up my pores with that chemical crap they call makeup. I did eventually learn how to put it on, but I couldn't see spending all that much money on it to cake it on my face and wash it off every night before I went to bed. To quote a movie, "I'd just look like me only in color." So now, I just wash my face once a day and all is good. Makes too much sense to me, but then logic has always been one of my assets.

There are times where I've felt the lack of girlfriends in my life. My 2 best friends don't have children. Now this is not a criticism of them as they've chosen other paths for their lives. But I don't have someone I can call and chat over what's new with my son. I also feel a bit weird talking with them about the ins and outs of parenthood. I don't want them to think . . . well, that I'm boring as all I talk about is my son. It probably gets old to them as they don't really have kids, and aren't all that interested in the day-to-day occurrences of being a parent. But then I think maybe I should make some new friends. And therein lies the rub . . . I really don't like most women. The more I think of it, the more grateful I am that I have a son. With my fabulous relationship with Mr. Murphy . . . I'd get the girliest girl in the world as a daughter. At least I know how to throw a football and baseball. My son won't tell me I throw like I girl because I don't.

Of course it'll be several years before the Peanut sees Mom riding off on her motorcycle (there's no place to strap in the car seat,) toss the ball around the yard or have a beer with as we're watching the game. I suppose I should be Thankful for small favors. In the meantime, I just wish I had more friends . . . male or female.

No comments: